Sunday, October 26, 2014

Fictional Crush Alert

“Oh I simply love Sherlock”. I gushed with blushing cheeks and the excitement of a 14 yr old revealing her first crush, “I Already got 2 Sherlock tees, a hoodie , 2 Sherlock bag badges, 2 Sherlock keychains & God only knows how many wall papers & pictures”
The recipient of my overwhelming confession looked at me like I was some green skinned alien. “Fictional Crush ” she stated & nodded her head gravely. My bestie knew too well about  my crush list, only glitch being they were all Fictional.

So as an avid fan of adventure books my first fictional crush was a natural impulse. Heyyyy......you cannot introduce a girl the Hardy Boys series & blame her for falling for Frank Hardy. Gentlemen trust me; we geeky girls always fall for the silent, sensible guys, looks & charms notwithstanding. And behold the 6 feet 1 inch black haired elder brother managed to ride into my imagination as the thinking man with utter ease. Needless to say I have half the series covered in my book shelf, right from the Hardy Boys mystery series to their case files.

But first crushes are always fickle and I was to realize this soon. Blame it on the age when rebellious tendencies surpass every other sense, or call it the craving for superheroism but this time I was more ambitious with my affections. Mortal men were so passé, we needed something more. Enter the mutants with X Men. I honestly confess my sole interest in genetics was sparked just because of this one cartoon series when Gambit ruled my better judgement for most time. With that attitude, the audacity, not to mention the quintessential bad boy aura....Gambit rocked big time. For almost a year I was glued to TV religiously following X Men till they stopped airing it thus ending the second spell of love in my life.
P.S. Wolverine never was appealing the comic series with his yellow costume; it was only after Hugh Jackman that Wolverine turned droolworthy

This wasnt the end but....soon I was to meet the boy who gave me sleepless nights. Obsession to the extent of muttering & smiling in sleep. I swore eternal, never ending love to this one guy on God knows how many ocassions. No conversation was fun if it didnt involve him & nothing looked good without his round specs....that was the perfect boy .The boy who lived. Harry Potter my entire high school I dedicated to you. I managed to alter my tomboyish ways all thanks to you. I managed an entire wall of your pics,a full scrap book dedicated to you, not to mention I even had a bday cake ordered for you. No prizes for guessing who the proud owner of the entire series is. Sighhhh.....why werent you real?

But wishes were wild horses. Soon school boy’s innocence was replaced with the sheer intrigue of the old world & folks who ruled it. Out of the blue came Lord of the Rings & with it came 2 men - dizzyingly divine & irresistible as sin. King Aragorn & Legolas. Trust me till date I haven’t been able to quite figure out whom I loved the most. If Aragorn had the stoic superiority of the person who knows he can never be wrong then Legolas has the raw impulse of the man who would take the right action irrespective of the consequences. Guess I was caught between two loyalities, one to the King of Men & another to the Prince of Elves. And you really can’t help getting bowled over again when they are played by the Viggo Mortensen & Orlando Bloom in the movies....sighs are in order  

But with age comes the mellowness, there is always a time when you actually think the bravado is always not worth it and all you desire is the intelligent man with whom you can have a brilliant conversation over a mug of hot coffee. What could be better if the same man has a penchant for most interesting symbolisms known to mankind & a terrible affinity to danger? I could never thank Dan Brown enough for bringing Robert Langdon into my life and making me realize the truth of the phase “Knowledge is Virtue” indeed..... indeed.....the fact that Tom Hanks plays him the movies only adds to immense luuvvve


And finally my current obsession SHERLOCK :-* Although this time it’s more the handiwork of the brilliant Benedict Cumberbatch. Words are trivial when it comes to you Sherlock. Like Above & Beyond sings I’ll never get over you. You’ll never get over me (I doubt the latter, but what the heck a girl can dream.........)





No comments: